Konichi-What?

My, sometimes cynical, sometimes funny, times in Japan...And no I don't go back and check my spelling or anything like that so don't complain.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Kochi Elementary











Today was my first day at Kochi elementary out in Yumesaki-Cho. I had to find the bus again and of course I took the wrong bus. I showed the driver my little sign saying what stop I wanted and he just shook his head. I then showed him my map and he said motion it would end up near there. So I watched the news on my IPOD and how we were going to be Nuked by North Korea and then 40 minutes later I was there. I found the school and did my little introduction and met all the teachers. It was a small school, only 1 teacher per grade and it was a lil country, as the teachers wore old jeans, boots and belt buckles. This was ricin’ country folks....
I was VERY excited to do first grade! It was fun!!! yet I don’t think they learned anything. That’s OK I had a great time! Imagine going into a US school of 7 yr olds and trying to teach tem English without speaking any. Yea...it was like that. It’s extra hard at this school because the teachers don’t speak English so its impossible to explain things. Oh well, like I said the kids were adorable!! They smiled at me the whole time and I would make funny faces at them when the teacher wasn’t looking. They wouldn’t let me leave and all ran up and wanted my autograph. I signed all of my fans requests and even got some more sweet paper airplanes and Chinese paper stars as gifts. Then they followed me and chased me through the school. I went to the bathroom and they were still there. I was famous for a day. I then talked 3 other classes. I ate lunch with the kids and they were chatting and carrying on with me the whole time in Japanese. I would just say "Hai" and Ohhh, hai hai" like I knew what they were saying and they just kept talking. It was a kinda funny. Lunch was school lunch again and was 220yen. It was a little more tasty this week. Veggie soup with dry noodles, bread, and hashbrowns, milk and green tea. The kids copied me as I ate and did everything I did. They said "mole mole" and would flex there muscles as I guess I had big muscles to them. They also played "choto choto choto" with me , which people play here for any disagreement. Any idea what this game is called in the US? Paper, rock scissors! I love this game. It’s very international! One teacher was a serious close talker. He wanted to speak english to me and would get 1 inch from my face and out came the fire of satan...his breath I kept backing up but to no success, he would just get closer....I had no gum to offer.
I never felt they learned a lot but it was fun for me. The principal wasn’t there as the 6th grade was on a field trip to Kyoto, I just decided to leave an hour early to catch the bus since it was a 45 min ride home. No one cared at the school when I said I was leaving.
Later I went for a small workout and a nice walk with a friend named Manami who teachers english here but is Japanese. She is nice to chat with and likes to exercise, so a nice person to hang out with. She said, "I was the best guy. Very decent and proper." Yea right...
Other notes:
1. They have all kinds of beer in the fridge here at school I find that funny. They have a beer every once in a while.
2. My boss here usually works 12-14 hours days.
3. I hate that there are no paper towels or soap iin bathrooms! Its soo annoying you always feel dirty.
4. During hangman in class today, I had them solve, "I look like a monkey" and "daniel is cool"
5. While eating lunch with them, they tried to get me to say some English words. One was sexy. Ooohhh those foul mouthed kids. They all laughed like it was really dirty too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home