Konichi-What?

My, sometimes cynical, sometimes funny, times in Japan...And no I don't go back and check my spelling or anything like that so don't complain.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

HAnko

Hanko (not to be confused with the kncho) is the stamp that is basically your signature. Now this totally doesn't make sense to me. You use it hear or anything that would require your signature in the US. To open my bank account, I needed my hanko, to sign up for my gym I needed it. To get internet or sign into work everyday you need your hanko. What if you lost it and someone decided to get crazy and open all kinds of accounts in your name. They don’t ask for ID, just a stupid stamp. I have a feeling this is one of those things that has carried on for many years and is still in existence just "because." I wish I knew someone who was cool here at school and could just stamp me as present and I could have extra vacation days, but what can you do...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home