Konichi-What?

My, sometimes cynical, sometimes funny, times in Japan...And no I don't go back and check my spelling or anything like that so don't complain.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Mt. Shosha











Today I went to Mt. Shosha with a girl me and Eric met at Club Roxy named Manami. Very nce lady. We biked about 15 min from my apt to the mt Then took a cable car to the top. About 500Yen up. Then we walked all around it. Monks walking around, temples and shrines everywhere. To become holy or something, older Japanese people have to visit 33 of the selected shrines. This is one of them and draws a nice crowd. Lots of interesting Buddhist statues. Manami didn't know the significance behind them either. I wish I did. She said the younger gen here doesn't care for religion. Its mostly the older folks and younger gen are atheists. I found a temple where there was a Buddhist service going on. Monks were walking slowly in a circling chanting something. Manami said she couldn't understand it as it was she thought Chinese. Makes sense as Buddhsism came to Japan from china. Kinda creepy listening to them chant though. We wondered around for a few hors. Kinda weird seeing things built in the 900's and still standing. It was nice to go with her as she explained things and translated signs and such. A good person to chat with as she is quite worldly and older. Divorced de to a abusive husband she has traveled to the US many times, favoring Vancouver and Seattle. She is very interested in things such as politics, diversity issues, human rights and such. Her English is quite good, so we had some good conversations. They weather was ABSOLUTELY beautiful! What a great day to be outside.
I then went to MaxVal and spent too much money on groceries. I bought a NUMBER of sweets. Im addicted. I like trying new things. I was told Natto was REALLY good. So I bought some and ea...Not true. I bought a BIG sushi roll and it was also AWFUL! Full of wasabi and I hate wasabi. I then found a fruit which I had no clue what it was. I figure it must be good for 1400 yen! Turns out I asked someone when I got home. IT was a coconut still in its shell.(not the fuzzy kind) I couldn’t eat anything and ended up paying $1400 yen for a glass of coconut juice! Whatever. I bought corn on the cob again and its AMAZING! I really like it.


In case you are wondering how does a thrifty and handsome gentlemen like myself survive in one of the most expensive countries. Here’s my tips: Look through the ads, and look for the stickers on the produce. Going to the store after 4pm you can get all your sushi 20% off as they have to throw it out otherwise. Breads go down to 50% off. All veggies and fruits get pt into a small basket in the corner. That is where you’ll find me. I get a head of spinach for 60 cents, ear of corn for 60 cents, expensive nectarine for only a dollar. Some must be eaten that day but it still tastes good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home